Monday 12 May 2008

Being married is loads of FUN

Married life is fun…….. At least so far!!!

Life was so protected and taken care of when I was single. Parents did everything for me I had them to go back to and ask for direction. Now its all about doing things oneself. Not that my husband won’t give me direction or advice, only it is different. Twenty eight years of your life you become used to a certain way of explanation of things and situations, the husband also has a certain way of being told things or telling things. So for me it’s all about learning. I am being observant taking things in one by one. It’s fun.

The story so far is that I moved out of Cuffe Parade and moved into Marol Andheri east. It’s a coincidence that I was a Marolia and I have shifted to Marol. I am now a D’silva.

Arranging the house was a task, because mom used to do all that back home. I decided to target one room at a time. My first room I started from was the kitchen. That’s according to me the room which is used the most. Lots of things were kept in a not very organized manner. There were some things which I had never seen before. Then there were some other things which had been used long ago. I made a list of things that I am used to using which were non-existent. The things that I was sure that I or anyone else would not use I got rid of. By getting rid of I mean I sold it to the scrap dealer of the area. Made money out of the things I thought were useless but I made money out of it so I don’t think that they were useless after all. That was so much fun.

The next room was the bedroom. I had to make it more cozy and a place to retreat in at the end of the day. Arranging this room involved setting up the cupboards and the dressing table. The bedroom didn’t take as long as the kitchen. I did get rid of a lot of weird looking clothes and bedding material. Now the sad part is that one cant make money out of the useless clothing. Anyways I did the bedroom. Stuffed all the clutter into places which one didn’t know existed. Now there is so much place around.

Next was the little balcony which is attached to the bedroom. That was a task, as there were quite a lot of things there but as I had become used to getting rid of things I did it here too. Now there is space in balcony also.

The living room didn’t need that much of arrangements as there was nothing really one can do in the room. Only it needed to be tidier. That’s what I did. Yes the sofas needed to be re-upholstered. The cushions needed to be completely changed so that’s what we did. There is one long window which had the oddest looking curtain on it. We made a decision and changed them as well. The room looks very livable.

There are two sets of long windows in the house. One in the living room and the other in the balcony in the bedroom. Both of them have what is called box grills. These box grills had some things store on them. Again these things were left and forgotten. Pipes, rods wooden planks, tiles and some small rubber strips I had to get rid of these things as well. I got money out of some of the things and had to throw the other things away. These windows are sliding so they have the railings on which the windows are fitted. These railing had so much of dust and cement in it. For that we bought a vacum cleaner. We used it to clean the railings. Now they are cleaner than before. That was fun too.

There are three different furniture pieces. Two tables and one sofa-cum-bed which don’t really go with the house’s looks but I haven’t managed to find any takers. They are kind of a eye sore in the house.

We also got ourselves a landline connection and a broadband connection.

The house is to some extent a home now. Over all being married is lots of fun.

5 comments:

Brown Weed said...

mouseyness!
that was very cute, and well written too. enjoyed reading it.

see you soon.
- the bother

Anand Prakash said...

Thanks Faizaan for sending this article.
Hemisha, you made so much money.. where is the partie...

ghaza said...

hee hee heeee .............
this is like a perfect "what to expect in your first few days in a new house" ......... I shall read it again when I do have to set up my own house ............ which will hopefully be soon ........ and if you still have the "choker-bali" I might even offer for it ............

btw, how are the neighbours ???? at my place in poona, more than half of the house work was over-seen by our extra "friendly neighbourhood" ......... in fact she was so friendly that I used to secretly call her spider-woman ........... and my flat-mate used to take great pains to ensure that she never found that out ..........

- ! ghaza

meraj said...

Marolia moves to Marol to become DeSilva...very funny! and a great post...

and thanks...now am not feeling guilty about not asking your side of the marriage-story, while you went around asking others.

Tathagata said...

Very cool post, Hemisha. Thanks to Faizaan for sending this.

Reminds me of the time (in the future) when I can also set up house, and this post will be very, very helpful then. :)